By Holly Field Design

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Flower Power




Flower Power seems like an excellent name for these blocks.  I've been busy for the last several days cutting all my Soul Blossom fabric (Amy Butler) into pieces for this quilt.

The blocks are 16.5" I think???  But I'm loving the big size of them.  It's been awhile since I worked with large blocks, but I'm seriously considering more large block quilts.

The size is good for showing off colorful fabrics, and the white keeps everything grounded.

I'm wondering how it would look to use calmer fabrics, like all pinks or purples?  It would make a great quilt for a little girls bed I think.

There is a bonus when making these blocks:

This star block was made from the scraps of a flower block.
When the white square is added to the flower blocks, and the triangles cut off
are sewn together, the pieces can be sewn together to make these half square triangles.
I've arranged them into a simple star block, which turns out to be 15"!
So, another baby quilt can be made with the scraps of the flower quilt.  Two for the price of one!

I'm headed back to the sewing studio to try and finish all the flower blocks.  
Happy quilting!

No comments:

Blog Archive