By Holly Field Design

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Nine-Patch finish

 This nine-patch was made last winter, and is almost the last of my "need to be quilted pile".  There is now a large stack of "need to have binding" quilts, but that isn't nearly as bad.  This quilt was totally put together from scraps and yardage on hand.  I'm not real happy with the inner border fabric, but I picked it and put it on before finding the outer border fabric in a long forgotten storage box.  It was mostly an experiment with color, and was fun, so I'm not terribly troubled with disliking a fabric.  As my machine quilter said, "it's finished".
 This close up shows her really nice ivy vine quilting pattern.

This week has been filled with days of sewing quilt blocks together.  I'm attacking my UFO stack now.  I can think of three projects that are on my sewing table now, that hopefully in a week or so will be on their way to be quilted.  I can't express in words how much pleasure it gives me to see almost finished quilts piling up! 
This photo to the right, nine-patch blocks without borders, has sparked an idea.  How would the same diagonal colored nine-patch blocks look, perhaps a 4.5" block?   With smaller squares, more colors, and the only border would be more white space and a white binding?  Or use Amish dark solids on gray or black background?  I really want to do both!

In the next post, I'll show you a top that is almost finished, and finally -- pics of my fabric/yarn storage.
ttfn

Blog Archive