By Holly Field Design

Saturday, February 25, 2012

A bit of a change


 Does anyone else like to embroider?  I remember the summer between 7th & 8th grades we stayed in Texas for the whole summer, and my grandma taught me to embroider.  She had a stack of butterfly quilt blocks, that we always laid out on her bed, just to admire.  She made them during her teens entirely from feed/flour sacks.  

I'm sure you know the block -- applique wings, with a contrasting center body and head.  Most people used the button hole stitch to outline around the wings, then embroidered the antennae.  I remember sitting outside on a warm, humid East Texas evening, sitting next to grandma and working on my butterfly blocks.  I don't know what ever happened to those, hmmmm...... 


Every few weeks, we go on long car trips, and I have a chance to do handwork.  I always have a basket packed with handwork, ready to take along.  It's amazing how much one can get done when forced to sit still!  I really love to make tea towels.  They are great to have on hand for gifts, and even nicer to have hanging in my kitchen!

These wonderful pieces of toweling arrived today!  I usually use about 2/3 of a yard to make a dish towel.  But this time I will use a yard length to have towels that cover rolls baked on a long cookie sheet.  The toweling with the plaid design will be cut into napkins.  I use 1/2 a yard for each napkin.  My dishes are the vintage and old Fiestaware, so the napkins will look great on the table


Does this book look familiar to anyone?  If you are unfamiliar with Susan Branch, you need to check out her blog!  It's amazing!  And read the comments under each posting, all the "girl friends" are amazing too!  Each one of Susan's postings is like a mini version of her books.  I've enjoyed reading her blog several times a week since the beginning, and always have a smile on my face afterward.  I have several of her books, and love the recipes as well as the artwork.  I pulled this one out today to make some killer chocolate sauce, yum.....  :)

On Susan's website you can find her online store, which stocks ready made kitchen towels in many patterns.  Susan & I share a love of vintage, and new,  made to look vintage towels!  I do love her web shop merchandise....   and have trouble picking items, because I want them ALL.  HERE is a link to her blog.

 I will leave you today with photos of two more of my kitchen towels.

Has anyone noticed my preference for red??  I can't get enough of it lately..  Red tops, red socks, red fabric, red yarn....  what's up?
I think it started when I saw photos of the New York red & white quilt exhibit.  And then there's all the red from the Just Takes 2 quilt along? I LOVE making those blocks.  I haven't had a challenge like this for awhile.Much less actually following a pattern & directions !  I'm beginning to think about making a Dear Jane quilt when finished with the red & white quilt. That would be amazing!  :)    ttfn




Blog Archive