By Holly Field Design

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Paper Pieced Stars!


I am the kind of person who can not just sit.  I have to have something to do, even if it's just knitting or reading.   So, last fall while recovering from surgery I  cleaned the library out of quilting books and discovered paper piecing.  Most of the books on the subject were written by Carol Doak, who is a paper piecing queen!  I loved her designs and use of geometry.  While I recovered,  I was able to sit at the sewing machine and learn paper piecing.  I have since reluctantly given the library back their books, and purchased my own.  (I love library books)  The quilt above is table runner size and contains my first 3 blocks.  I'm not sure if all 3 are from Carol's books or from patterns I found online.  Anyway, I now love paper piecing.  When I can't find inspiration or just want to sew and listen to an audio book, I pull out my paper pieces and a box of fat quarters.  I am addicted. 

I've also started planning a whole quilt that uses the concept of paper piecing, but on a grand scale.  I've been saving my over head projector for years, and now I have a cool idea to use it, and enlarge a pattern for a  whole pieced quilt.  I'm still in the drawing phase, but will keep you posted. 

Ok...  it's late here, but my most productive time of the day.  Back to the sewing machine for me!  Nite.

No comments:

Blog Archive