By Holly Field Design

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Two week blog vacation!!

I haven't written in two weeks.  This summer is flying by.  Here in Indiana it's warm, and humid.  Not my favorite type of weather!!  So, I've been inside quite a bit the last two weeks.

Since I returned from Quaker's Haven quilt retreat I've been sewing up a storm.  While there I worked on blocks that are similar to making a "Trip Around the World" quilt.  You start with 6, 2.5" strips, 16" long.  Then sewing them all together lengthwise, and into a tube.  Then, you slice off 2.5" pieces.  There will be six "fabric rings".  Then, one by one you open up the seam, each time the next seam is opened up.  If you do this correctly, you'll have squares moving diagonally across the block.

I hate to admit it, but I'm addicted.   I suppose there are worse things to be addicted to.  Making these blocks is fun.  The best part is using up all those 2.5" strips I cut up in the spring.  And, no matter how you place the fabric, it all works.

As you can see...  I've been busy here.  There is currently one small quilt on the basting table,  The three that are on the wall, and one more you can see down below.  The darker quilt to the right of  the Soul Blossom quilt, will be queen size when I put all the blocks together.  I made 30 blocks or so at quilt retreat, and more later that week.

I seriously need to look into a quilting system.  It's just a big purchase, and I want to be sure.
One day last week, I ran across Bonnie Hunter's website, Quiltville.  It's a great website.  Bonnie had a pattern for "The Incredible Scrappy Bargello Quilt" and it was basically the same idea, except each  "fabric ring" has 32 squares instead of 6.
 Construction is much faster.  The quilt to the right, has 5 panels (from top down).  I don't know about those two red rows...  They don't look so RED in person.  This quilt is made of 30's reproduction fabric that I've had for almost 20 years.  One day I just cut it all up, now it's getting used. 

I want to try this pattern again using all the wonderful solids I purchased in Shipshewana.  This is only part of my purchase... I couldn't help myself.  Kona solilds are amazing.  Recently, I found someone on Ebay, who sells hand dyed fabrics... beautiful marble-like bright colors.  Can't wait to order some!  John3200 - link will take you to his ebay list. 





 I've also been busy sewing for my grandson.  These little short sets are so quick and easy.  I still need to make buttonholes and get buttons on.

Well, I must get back to basting....  I really hate it.  Hopefully, I'll be back sooner than last time.
ttfn

No comments:

Blog Archive