By Holly Field Design

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Basting days and Mondays.... almost as bad as rainy days.

Yes, I had to baste today.  Basting is the most dreaded part of quilting for me.  Someday, I may breakdown and buy a quilting system, but until then, it's safety pins...a lot of them.

I did buy some new curved 1 1/2" pins.  Amazing the difference new ones can make.  They are actually sharp!  I do like the curved vs. straight ones.  They seem to make the job go faster.

I still have one more quilt to get basted tonight, but not sure I'll make it.  It is rather tempting to start quilting on this
.
I thought I'd show you how I baste.  I have two rather large tables that are used to lay the quilt out on.  Usually I spread the bottom out first, and attach it to the table with the big black binder clips.  They do a real nice job holding everything tight.  Then I spread the batting out and clip everything tight.  Last the top goes on, and the I clip the edges down again, making sure all layers stay nice and smooth.  The worst thing in my world is when I finish basting and take the quilt up to find a big wrinkle, a fabric fold, or some crooked area that looks awful.  It's enough to make me pull my hair out -- and I have a lot of hair!

No comments:

Blog Archive