By Holly Field Design

Friday, March 25, 2011

What to do with a Jelly Roll? No, don't eat it!!

I have been going a little bit nuts trying to decide what to do with my Soul Blossom jelly roll (By Amy Butler).  I decided to just make log cabin blocks, and got the first round made, then while ironing them and thinking about those mitered squares I just finished, had an idea!!  What if I added triangles to the corners?  Well the above blocks are what resulted.  I placed 2 1/2" squares over opposite corners of the log cabin blocks and drew a stitching line from corner to corner, and got these blocks.  When joined together there will be little solid colored triangles meeting all over the quilt.  I think it will give all those wonderful prints a nice showcase, and the solids will give the eye a place to rest and take it all in.  I don't know if this is a block that's been made before, I can't imagine it hasn't.  It's just too easy.  I will be making these all weekend.

The great part is I only used 2 jelly roll strips and a few 2 1/2" squares to make the four blocks.  There isn't much waste at all.  The little triangle parts that are usually cut off can be sewn together easily after sewing the first seam, and then cut between the two seams.  Then you get four 1/2 square triangle blocks also.  No waste at all! 

No comments:

Blog Archive